Thursday, June 15, 2017

Traveling Back to Quito and Work at the Quito Foundation

June 8th
The drive back to Quito was rough for all of us. Many of us were getting sick and the motion sickness of the bus ride did not help many of us.
Kleber looked very forlorn most of this day. He was just our jungle bus driver, not our city bus driver, so we would be all saying good bye to him today. Zoe had picked up on the fact that he had a crush on me and warned me to be careful with him in private. I had already gotten that feeling already. He tried to invite me to sit alone with him in the front of the jungle bus but I said I was okay. I did like him, but I wanted to respect Zoe as our leader and appreciated her wisdom. He was so sad saying good bye.

We went swimming before we officially head out, and Kleber went with us. The missionaries made a line to hug him goodbye...when it was my turn to hug him good bye he gave me a small kiss on the cheek and gave me his phone number.

When we got back to the city we ate at a place called "Crepes and Waffles". It was in a mall, which was very fancy. It was a bit of a culture shock, and made all of us feel a little strange after seeing the poverty in the jungle.

Again, the foundation was too small to hold all of us so the adults and young men stayed at the Savoy, a hotel about 15minutes from the foundation.

June 9th
We worked on peeling paint off the floor of the sanctuary of the little church on the Foundation. This was so hard, and feel like Concentration Camp labor. It seemed pointless. Our progress was slow and difficult. We all got discouraged. I had to leave and spend some time with God and get my frustration out to Him. He took my discouragement and turned it into something that made me peaceful and relaxed in His presence. I was spiritually refreshed. I found myself missing Kleber's joyful spirit around the team.

Later we had VBS for about 40 kids. It was lots of fun. In Quito, the poverty is not as bad as in the jungle but it is still there. We had lots of fun coloring and drawing pictures with them.


























No comments:

Post a Comment